Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Old Fashioned Limeade Recipe

I remember watching shows like Anne of Green Gables and Little House on the Prairie and thinking that they made an awful lot of fuss over lemonade. To my young girl mind, lemonade was as prevalent as soda fountains at gas stations. What's the big deal?

I'll tell you what the big deal is: Lemonade made from real lemons and a simple syrup is waaaaaay better than the junk they make out of a powder!


Due to circumstances beyond my control I was blessed with a bushel of lemons. :) I decided to make lemonade. It turned out so good my kids (okay I helped) drank the whole gallon. I didn't have quite enough lemons left to make another batch so I threw in some limes. Heavens! 

What came about is the recipe for Old Fashioned Limeade. It doesn't take too long to make and it's totally worth it! 

This is my set up for getting the lemon and lime juice out of the fruit. First, I roll the fruit against the counter. Push down until you feel the fibers in the fruit give way. Then I cut the fruit in half and put a fork in the flesh to twist as I squeeze the juice out. The fork helps to further break up the fibers that hold in the juice. This way I feel like I get every drop possible. I squeeze the lemons/limes over a strainer placed over a cup to catch the seeds.




Old Fashioned Limeade Recipe


Ingredients

8 lemons
4 limes
1 cup water
1 1/4 cup sugar
7 cups cold water

Directions

1. Squeeze the juice from the lemons and limes and set aside. Or, you can have your kids do this part of the work while you make the simple syrup.
2. In a small saucepan, combine the 1 cup of water and the sugar. Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves completely. Set this simple syrup aside to cool for 5 minutes.
3. Pour the 7 cups of cold water into a large pitcher. Add the lemon/lime juice and the simple syrup. Stir well and serve. Can store in the fridge for a couple of days but it's not going to last that long! 

No comments:

Post a Comment