Friday, January 18, 2013

Finished Being Fat

Hi All,
I have a special treat today. I have a guest post from author Besty Schow! Along with her guest post, Betsy has offered up a free e-copy of her book! Yeah! All you have to do is leave a comment below to be entered in the drawing. Good luck!
In her first book, Finished Being Fat, Betsy goes on an accidental adventure that started out as yet another attempt to get rid of the weight around her middle, but snowballed into a year of changing her life, marriage and the way she raises her kids. While achieving a bucket list of impossible dreams on the side.
Whether your goal is losing weight, running a marathon, cleaning out the basement, or all of the above, this book will teach you how to achieve more than you ever thought possible without sacrificing your sanity or sense of humor.

So without further adeu, let me hand the blog over to Betsy!


For my guest post today, I’ve been asked to talk about kids in the kitchen, all while tying it into my new book, Finished being Fat. Tall order, since the only thing I cook is Dino Nuggets. There’s a good reason for that though. When I was growing up, the only decision I played in dinner, was picking Wendy’s or McDonalds. As I got older I got to choose which flavor of Ben and Jerry’s would comfort my poor chubby soul. And that was the start of a life long battle with being addicted to crappy food.

I have two little girls. They are 6 and 3, and I really don’t want them to grow up with the same unhealthy relationship to food that I had. I truly believe that having kiddos help out in the kitchen can avert a lot of the problems that came to bite me in the rear much later on. And since I am on a kindergarten cooking level, I figure my oldest and I can learn at the same time.

So together we tackled a healthier version of nuggets and fries. AKA chicken breast and mashed potatoes. She calls them “naked nuggets”. It wasn’t anything worthy of the Chopped kitchen, but it wasn’t poisonous, and she actually ate it. But what I really found interesting was that my little girl, who is usually all about, “I can’t” was suddenly saying, “I can help with that”.

That is what I was lacking into my adult years. I had no confidence that I was actually able to achieve anything, I was certain I would be a failure at anything I tried. So early on, I learned to give up before I failed miserably. It took many years and the adventure chronicled in, Finished being Fat, to finally gain that confidence and finish what I start. If I can teach those thing to my girls now, imagine the things they can accomplish and the heartache they can avoid. All from learning to finish simple little things. Even just cooking dinner.

For more information about me, the book, or to get a free personalized daily calorie budget - visit me at www.betsyschow.com

2 comments:

  1. Great point, Betsy! I hadn't thought about being able to cook or even helping with the cooking as a confidence booster. I just figured I was teaching my kids a basic life-skill. But praising their efforts and helping them recognize their own abilities can give them the confidence they need to achieve other things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids often help in the kitchen, and it's been good in a lot of ways. Recently I was helping my 20 year old revamp her shopping list to make it healthier, as she had been feeling low on energy. The new list empowered her. She's excited about it. (She was finally at a point to listen to suggestions... :) ) Unfortunately, it's easier to point my kids in the right direction than myself sometimes. Parents have a lot of distractions that can keep them from accomplishing goals. Looks like a good book, Betsy!

    ReplyDelete