Friday, December 28, 2012

Broil / New Year Appetizers

The New Year is almost upon us and that means one thing: 
New Year's Eve parties!!! 


I love a good party. Since I had my first baby, my New Year's parties haven't been all that big. Mostly, it's just me and the hubby and our motley crew watching movies into the late night. Usually  I'm the only one awake at midnight. But, it's a wonderful moment because I get to look around my living room at the piles of arms and legs and blankets, hear the soft breathing (and one slightly snoring) loved ones and realize how blessed my year has been. 

This year may be different. Not that I'll feel any less blessed. It's just that my kids are getting older now and I may have company at twelve. My youngest is four. Four is big. I'm sure she'll be out before the ball drops though she might make it to 10:00 p.m. My oldest is 11. He's on the cusp of teenager. He might make it. Since Hubby has been working like crazy and is pretty worn out - I'm putting him in the with four-year-old.

No matter who makes it to the stroke of midnight, we'll all be working together during the day to make delicious celebration food. They'll probably be cheesecake. Okay, there will be cheesecake. We'll have sparkling cider to drink and I'm leaning toward halibut and shrimp for dinner. The kids will make the appetizers and the spinach salad.

This appetizer recipe is a simple one for kids to make and enjoy. It also teaches them how to use the broil setting on the stove. There aren't a lot of opportunities for kids to broil, so you will have to show them how your oven works. Ours takes at least four buttons pressed in the correct order to get the broil on. 

Click here to print this recipe.
New Year Appetizers 
Makes 16

Ingredients:
1 loaf of baguette bread
4 slices of provolone cheese
1 red delicious apple
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:

1. Turn your oven on to low broil.
2. Cut the loaf of bread into 16 slices about a half inch thick. Place the bread slices on a cookie sheet.
3. Cut the provolone cheese into 16 slices. Place one slice of cheese on each slice of bread.
4. Cut the apple into 16 slices and place one slice on each piece of bread/cheese. (My apple was really small so I had to use two slices to cover the bread.)
5. Sprinkle with a tiny bit of cinnamon.
6. Broil for 5-10 minutes or until the bread is slightly toasted around the edges and the cheese is melted.
7. Serve warm or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment