Friday, October 26, 2012

Learn to Cream Butter and Sugar with Chocolate Chunk Peanut Butter Pudding Cookies

I have been told that these are the best Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies in the world. 


Colkie and I made them for a friend's birthday. When we got there, she hid them away from her kids so she could eat all 12 by herself. I found no fault in this - it was her birthday after all. :-) If you teach your kids how to make them, they can cook you up a batch for your birthday. Trust me, it's worth the effort.

The skill to teach along with these cookies is: to cream. It means to beat butter and sugar together (and sometimes eggs) with a stand mixer or hand mixer. Creaming is different than beating together until combined. Feel free to show your kids the difference.





This is butter and sugar beat together until just combined. See how dark and grainy it looks?











This is the butter and sugar creamed together. By incorporating air, you have lightened the colors and texture. The more air you get into the batter the higher your cookies will sit when baked. That's because the air expands as the cookie cooks. When I was younger, I loved to get a big ol' spoonful of this stuff. I can't imagine doing it now. I guess that's part of how I learned to cream things together. I could feel the difference in my mouth. If you're inclined to let your kids try it go right ahead. Kids are often sensory learners. Just make sure you do it before you add the raw eggs into the mixture.












Chocolate Chunk Peanut Butter Pudding Cookies






For a printable version of this recipe click here.

Makes about 36 cookies


Ingredients:
3/4 cup butter at room temperature
2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 small box white chocolate pudding
1/2 cup chocolate chunks

Instructions:
1. Cream together butter, peanut butter, sugar and brown sugar in a medium sized bowl until light and fluffy.
2. Add the eggs and beat well.
3. Add vanilla, baking soda, salt, flour and pudding. Mix well.
4. Add chocolate chunks.
5. Shape into 1 inch balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until set. 



2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of adding pudding mix to cookie dough. It sounds delicious! By the way my birthday is in May! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your birthday is noted! :-)

    The pudding keeps the cookies moist FOREVER. (or close too it.) It makes them great for gifts.

    ReplyDelete