Friday, January 4, 2013

Spreading Spreads / PB&B Sandwiches

 Oh the weather outside is frightfully cold! I'm not kidding. The other night when I went for groceries after dark, the car thermometer read -11 degrees. (That's a big ol' negative 11 - wow!)

When it gets cold like this, my whole family longs for warm meals. One of the challenges for me is to come up with a warm lunch. Soup is always a good option but there are very few canned soups my kids will actually eat and not just load up with crackers to try and cover the taste and textures of canned veggies and small chunks of meat. 

Because of the picky eaters around here, we've turned into sandwich lovers. Grilled cheese is always a favorite. As is a grilled tuna. That one's fantastic. I'll have to post it here one time because it is unreal how good a grilled tuna can actually be. Anywho, this grilled sandwich is a classic. 


Grilled PB&B 
(peanut butter and banana) 


What? You've never had a PB&B? Mock horror is written all over my face. Actually, when I was a kid, we would eat cold PB&B sandwiches. Though delicious, I always thought the PB was a little goopy and tended to stick to the top of my mouth. However, once I decided to heat it up, the PB melted and was delightfully drippy instead of sticky.

Teaching your kids to make a grilled PB&B couldn't be easier. If you aren't ready for them to tackle the stove top on their own, then have them sit down with some peanut butter and a knife and practice spreading the peanut butter across the bread slices. For some reason, being able to spread evenly is a hard skill for kids to grasp so the more practice the better. 

To print this recipe click here.

Grilled PB&B
Serves 2

Ingredients

4 slices of bread
1 banana
4 tablespoons peanut butter
2 teaspoons of butter

Directions

1. Set your sandwich pan or skillet on the stove and set the heat to med-low.
2. Spread 1/2 teaspoon of butter on one side of each piece of bread.
3. Spread one tablespoon of peanut butter on the other side of each piece of bread.
4. Once the pan is warm, set all four slices of bread into the skillet -butter side down.
5. Cut the banana in half, then cut each section in half lengthwise.
6. Set two banana pieces on one slice of bread and two on another slice. (The remaining pieces of bread will be the tops for your sandwiches.)
7.Cook for 5-8 minutes, or until the bottoms of the bread are nicely browned and the peanut butter has melted.
8. Using a spatula, pick up the sandwich tops and place them on the bottoms with the butter side up.
9. Transfer the sandwiches to a plate and eat!


P.S. I want to throw out a big thanks to my dad for help with my photography. I love the way these photos turned out and it's all thanks to his camera knowledge. Thanks Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment